Director of Employee and Labor Relations
Pleasanton, CA 94588 | Direct Hire
As the Director of Employee and Labor Relations you’ll be the subject matter expert in all areas of ELR and provide guidance to management and staff in the interpretation of HR policies, collective bargaining agreements, and State and Federal laws. You’ll partner with hospital leaders to ensure operational needs are being met and support the Head of HR in carrying out the labor strategy.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with legal counsel in preparation for arbitrations, including witness and document preparation, attends hearings and assists as necessary.
- Assist in the investigating complaints filed with State and Federal agencies.
- Provide guidance and direction to team members on casework, investigations, disciplinary actions and all other ELR functions.
- Provide guidance and assistance to supervisors/managers regarding interpretation, compliance, and enforcement of human resource policies and procedures, the collective bargaining unit agreement, and State and Federal laws; such as ADA, FMLA and Workers Compensation.
- Investigate, prepare reports and make recommendations to management concerning resolution of grievances.
- Recommend and assist in the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures which are consistent with Federal and State laws.
- Assist the Head of HR in preparing for labor negotiations and act as a liaison between the bargaining teams and leaders.
- Assume responsibility for the oversight of training and orienting supervisors regarding labor contracts, labor laws, and SHC-VC policies.
- Coordinate investigations, compilation of data and preparation of responses to EEOC, DFEH or other agencies in conjunction with other SHC-VC management staff and Office of the General
- Employee must perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the C-I-CARE Standards of the Hospital. C-I-CARE is the foundation of Stanford Healthcare – ValleyCare’s patient-experience and represents a framework for patient-centered interactions
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in a work-related discipline/field from an accredited college or university.
- Five or more years of progressive responsible and directly related work
- At least 2 years of supervisory
- Demonstrated objectivity, sensitivity and a balanced perspective regarding employee concerns and organizational needs
- Ability to interpret and analyze legal materials and union contracts
- Ability to understand and use information technology to drive process changes
- Knowledge of local, State and Federal regulatory requirements related to areas of functional responsibility and HR
- Knowledge of mandates and emerging issues in labor relations matters in the State of California and in the healthcare industry
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, administration, fiscal and personnel management
- SPHR Preferred
MeritHR has connected organizations and great HR talent since 1989 in contract staffing, consulting and direct hire roles. We believe in HR; it is all we do.